We’re looking for Wintel Engineer to join our Cumbrian based client on a contract basis. Our client is a player in the area working in the nuclear industry.
Role: Wintel Engineer
Type of position: Contract
Rate Circa £60 / hr Ltd (all in including expenses)
Location: West Cumbria
Date posted: 7th May 2019
Wintel Engineer who is preferably multi skilled in both Windows and Linux.
- Troubleshooting system and network problems, diagnose and solve hardware/software Incidents/problems
- Provide solution(s)/work around(s) to incidents and problems
- Create, manage and evolve polices, processes and procedures
- Install, maintain and support new applications and Infrastructure
- Work to SLA thresholds for incident(s), request(s) and problem(s)
- Prioritising and managing several open cases and mini projects at one time
- Establishing a good working relationship with the business and 3rd party support personnel
- Testing / Evaluating and implementation of new technology
- Review of services, application delivery, patching and Anti-Virus
- Ensure appropriate standards and procedures are adhered to during the development process to support a quality deliverable
- Work with a variety of business and technical contacts to gain a detailed understanding of their requirements.
- Implementation of ISO 20000 and ISO 27001 policies
You will be responsible for the technical delivery and support of the Wintel (x86) based platforms, including Microsoft server technologies (NT4.0, W2K, W2K3, W2008, W2012 and W2016), Active Directory, VMWare (V5, V5.5, V6 & V6.5) & hardware platforms (including HPe, Cisco UCS, DELL & Nutanix) Meeting operational, project and initiative needs.
- Operational, initiative and project-based activities
- Capacity and availability management
- System level performance management
- Obsolescence management
- Patch, vulnerability and anti-virus management
- Technical design and implementation
- Backup & Disaster recovery management/capability
- Operating system hardening
You will need in-depth understanding and hands on experience in Wintel server technologies and operating systems. This includes virtualisation and SDDC preferred.
You will have undertaken server migration and consolidation work end-to-end.
- Will provide migration recommendations and guidance; working with Migration Schedulers and Execution Leads
- Provide input into the to-be state identified for the servers. Validate existing R6 assessment and plan for execution.
- Technically plan and execute the migration of servers to new infrastructure.
- Ensure the database and data is appropriately decommissioned prior to physical database server removal.
- Collaborate with infrastructure and application teams to ensure the migration minimises risk and impact to the business.
- Experience with monitoring systems (as utilised within the company) required.
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution.
Skills and experience
Need to be able (or ideally have) SC or DV level security clearance.
Please note SC can take up to 10-12 weeks to obtain for a UK passport holder.
This is a requirement for the role because of the nature of the nuclear facility.
- Willingness to Travel in UK (expenses from main base are paid)
- ITIL Certified
- Several Years Active Directory administration and design.
- Extensive Wintel administration and implementation experience
- 5+ years Windows Server administration experience (Windows Server 2008, 2012 & 2016), Exchange 2010 administration and design duties to include OS build, deployment, automation, patching and security hardening.
- 5+ years VMWare administration v5.5 and v6.5
- Experience of SCCM administration, packaging and deployment
- Significant experience supporting a Citrix XenApp Farm administration and design
- Network trouble shooting, TCP/IP and general WAN/ LAN trouble shooting
- Cisco network implementation, administration and troubleshooting. Route and Switch experience (CCNA or CCNP desirable)
- Patching, windows, AD, GPO (windows/microsoft expert with expertise in virtual machines on a server based computing environment)
Detailed understanding of some of the following technologies:
- Microsoft Active Directory
- General Networking Principles
- Considerable experience in administering a VMware Infrastructure including HA, DRS and ideally SRM.
Pay and benefits
Circa £60 / hr on 37 -40 hr week. All in includes expenses .
DATS is an equal opportunities employer that promotes and celebrates diversity in the workplace.
Think you’d be a great fit for this role? If you have the skills and experience, please apply via the button above.
Applicants who demonstrate the required experience will be contacted by a consultant to discuss the opportunity in more detail. If successful, you’ll normally move to interview stage quickly and you’ll need to prove eligibility and legal entitlement to work in the UK.